District Attorney: 'We believe we have the right suspect'
Updated On: Nov 27 2013 07:47:42 PM CST
A suspect charged with murder in the death of a Shasta Lake man has had his case dismissed by a Shasta County judge Wednesday. Shasta County judge Bradley Boeckman said there wasn’t enough evidence against 51-year-old Johnny Bass to take to trial.
Bass was charged with the murder of 48-year-old Milton Sherwood on November 1.
Deputies said Sherwood had been shot, then dropped off at Mercy Medical Center emergency room by two men.
After a manhunt and a standoff Bass was arrested.
“We believe we have the right suspect based on the evidence that we do know, that we do have," said Shasta County Deputy District Attorney Craig Omura.
Omura said he was not surprised at the judge's ruling because Boeckman had hinted at it during the first part of Bass's preliminary hearing Tuesday.
Omura said he is still convinced Johnny Bass is the one responsible for the murder.
"The evidence that we presented was circumstantial evidence tying him to the residence tying him to the altercation," said Omura.
Even though Bass's case has been dismissed, the District Attorney’s Office can still re-file the murder charge down the line.
"There is no bar from a future filing however, if we get more evidence or fill the holes that the judge found in the case,” said Omura.
The DA hopes to get that evidence by speaking with more witnesses.
Copyright 2013 by KRCRTV.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.