Redding
85° F
Clear
Clear
Red Bluff
85° F
Clear
Clear
Chico
84° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Blind Grandmother Rescued From Home Gas Leak

By Tyler May, tmay@krcrtv.com
Published On: Apr 11 2013 01:43:09 PM CDT
gas leak photo
CHICO, Calif. -

Two people had to be evacuated from a Chico home after a gas leak Thursday morning.  One of the patients was a 78-year-old grandmother who is blind.

Chico Fire got a call around 9:30 a.m. of a stove leaking gas at 923 Alder Street in Chico.  Firefighters say Augustine Rodriquez, 30, cooked food the previous night, left the burner on and went to bed.  

This morning, Rodriquez's girlfriend came over and smelled gas coming from the home.  She called 911 and tried to get Rodriquez and his grandmother Serafina Zamudio, 78, out of the home.  The grandmother is blind was escorted out by firefighters.

Rodriquez was sleeping on the couch at the time. Both Zamudio and Rodriquez were treated by paramedics but were not taken to the hospital.