Redding
71° F
Clear
Clear
Red Bluff
72° F
Clear
Clear
Chico
73° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Chico Home Catches Fire

By Tyler May, tmay@krcrtv.com
Published On: Oct 01 2012 12:46:16 AM CDT
Updated On: Oct 01 2012 02:17:05 AM CDT
Chico House Fire
CHICO, Calif. -

Chico firefighters responded Sunday night to a house fire north of the Chico State campus.

Onlookers near the home in the 1100 block of Hobart Avenue watched as crews battled the fire.

Adam Mott, 22, was cooking dinner with his girlfriend Sunday night and left a pan of olive oil on the stove when he went to pick up a friend from a few blocks away.

According to an official with the Chico Fire Department, Mott came home and saw smoke coming from the vent on top of the roof.

He rushed outside and immediately grabbed a garden hose and tried to put out the fire.  The flames got too big and his girlfriend called 911.

Chico Fire responded and got to the house around 8:41 p.m. 

Neighbors nearby say they started helping Mott when they saw the flames.

"We ran over there and we were asking what we can do," said Natalie Ortiz.  "So we got the hose while the guy ran inside and got his fire extinguisher which was broken in the end."

No one was injured in the fire.  There is smoke and heat damage to the house.

The estimated cost of damage to the home is around $30,000.