77° F
Red Bluff
76° F
73° F

College Students Escape Burning Home

Published On: Nov 03 2012 08:00:28 PM CDT
Chico House Fire Pix

355 E. 8th Street, Chico

CHICO, Calif. -

Two female college students escaped their burning home early Saturday morning.

Chico firefighters responded to 355 E. 8th Street at 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

Flames were coming from one bedroom of the home.  Two of the home's four residents were home at the time.  One woman is a student at Chico State, the other woman is a student at Butte College. 

Both women escaped safely.  A dog was rescued, but a cat went missing.  The fire destroyed the bedroom belonging to the Chico State student. 

She walked into her bedroom and saw her curtains on fire.  Firefighters said the fire started when something in a mesh trash can caught the bedroom curtains on fire.

The fire was ruled accidental.  Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the home and $25,000 to the contents.  Two of the occupants had renters insurance which covers their personal belongings.

Firefighters said the residents did many things correctly, including having working smoke detectors, getting out quickly and calling 911 immediately.