Redding
51° F
Light Rain
Light Rain
Red Bluff
51° F
Overcast
Overcast
Chico
52° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Firefighters Called to Chico Apartment Fire

By Tyler May, tmay@krcrtv.com
Published On: Jan 09 2013 12:41:10 PM CST
Chico Apartment Fire
CHICO, Calif. -

Firefighters were called to a fire at a Chico apartment Wednesday morning.

The fire department got the call just before 9 a.m.. from 1276 Stewart Avenue.  The fire was burning in unit 12 at Katie's Place Apartments.

The resident, Anthony Nicosia, told firefighters he was cooking sausage in his oven, when the oven caught fire.  Firefighters said it appeared that oil on the aluminum foil he used ignited inside the oven.

Nicosia got out without injury and the damage was limited to the oven.

A smoke alarm in the apartment had been disabled.  Nicosia told firefighters he had disabled the smoke alarm because it frequently went off while he was cooking.