Quick-thinking by an elementary school principal helped keep kids safe in Chico Monday morning.
It happened Monday around 8:45 a.m. at Blue Oak Charter School at 450 West East Avenue.
A hot plate caught fire inside the kindergarten classroom while a teacher was using it.
The 18 kindergarten students were outside on the playground at the time.
The school principal, Laurie Kopping, grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire before it could spread.
Students in other classrooms were evacuated until the smoke had cleared.