Some students and faculty at Chico State have expressed concern regarding deaths of two faculty members who they fear died of asbestos poisoning from working in a campus building.
47-year-old Andrew Dick began working at Chico State as a faculty member in 2001 until he lost his battle to lung cancer in May.
Then in September, 51-year-old Tami Kilpatric, who was a professor on campus for 14 years, passed away due to complications from cancer--possibly lung cancer as well.
After the two faculty members passed away, several others began worrying about their own exposure to asbestos in the old building where Kilpatric and Dick both worked.
Joe Wills, Chico State Director of Public Affairs said the school brought the university's Department of Environmental Health and Safety to look into the rumours of asbestos. He said that while it is true that asbestos was used in the building’s construction, but not in a place that is damaging to people.
A meeting was held on campus yesterday to answer any questions and to discuss Department of Environmental Safety’s findings.
Wills said he thinks this gave some peace of mind to those who were worried about the buildings safety and noted that they will be making major repairs on this building next summer.