78° F
Red Bluff
80° F
79° F

Two-Day Manhunt Ends With Arrest of Suspect in Violent Crime Spree

Published On: Apr 09 2013 06:09:55 PM CDT   Updated On: Apr 07 2013 07:02:13 PM CDT
Jeffrey Wood mugshot

Jeffrey Wood

REDDING, Calif. -

A two-day manhunt ended Sunday morning with the arrest of Jeffrey Wood, 42 of Redding

Wood was arrested on a series of charges including kidnapping and assault.

The search began Saturday around 8 a.m.  Bill Bailey found his previously reported stolen vehicle abandoned in the area of Alta Mesa Drive and Marilyn Avenue.  Officers determined Wood was the responsible party for abandoning the vehicle, but could not locate him. 

Later in the day, around 10:30 a.m., officers responded to a physical disturbance on the 3000 block of Alta Mesa Drive.  Upon arrival Officers determined Wood assaulted his girlfriend, who had been seated in a vehicle.  Police said Wood smashed a window of the vehicle with a baseball bat and attempted to hit the victim with it. 

Wood allegedly punched the victim several times in the face and choked her to the point she feared she was going to pass out. Wood tried to force the victim to flee the area in her vehicle; however the vehicle would not start.

During the assault on his girlfriend, Stephanie Tinker, 25 of Redding, tried to come to the victim’s aid. Wood began to attack her with a baseball bat. He chased her and tried to hit her several times with the bat, fortunately missing her.

Police believe Wood fled the area when he heard the sirens from the responding officers patrol vehicles.  Officers were again unable to locate Wood.

At approximately 12:49 p.m. Saturday Karen Jones, 41 of Redding, returned home to her residence on the 3100 block of Alta Mesa Drive and discovered Wood in the process of burglarizing it.  She was able to identify him because both of them grew up in this town. 

Officers responded and a massive manhunt began with the assistance of the California Highway Patrol helicopter and Redding Police K-9 Tarro. 

During this investigation Officers learned Wood was allegedly on a methamphetamine binge and may be armed with a black semi-automatic firearm. 

Officers also learned Wood was able to escape from the law enforcement perimeter by kidnapping a past female associate, who lived nearby, at knifepoint.  Wood allegedly forced the woman to drive him from the area in her vehicle and drop him off in the 3100 block of Bechelli Lane. 

The victim stated Wood was last seen running through a near by apartment complex before she returned to her house to seek help.

The kidnapping victim also told police Wood appeared to be under the influence of Methamphetamine and was going to “force the cops to kill” him.  Wood allegedly told the victim he was not going back to prison and was sick of always being in trouble. 

Officers continued to follow up on Wood’s whereabouts through out the night and into Sunday morning. 

On Sunday around 8:30 a.m. officers developed information Wood may be being transported in a vehicle on Cypress Avenue near Victor Avenue.  Officers responded and began canvassing the area. 

Wood was observed in the passenger seat of a black Volkswagen Jetta travelling on Cypress Avenue.  All available units including police K-9 Tarro and the CHP helicopter responded.  A traffic stop was conducted in the Lowe’s parking lot.

Wood was taken into custody with out incident, due to the overwhelming police presence.  A firearm was not located in the vehicle, but a large hunting knife was.  It is unknown at this time if this was the knife used to kidnap the previous victim. 

The Volkswagen Jetta was being driven by a subject who did not know Wood was wanted by the Police.  This subject was questioned at scene and released.