Redding
68° F
Clear
Clear
Red Bluff
65° F
Clear
Clear
Chico
72° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Update: Oil on Stove Sparks Apartment Fire

By Tyler May, tmay@krcrtv.com
Published On: Mar 28 2013 12:59:54 AM CDT
Updated On: Mar 28 2013 11:20:59 AM CDT
Chico Apartment Fire Rancheria Drive

Courtesy: Chris Meneley

CHICO, Calif. -

Eight people were displaced by an apartment fire in Chico that started with a resident cooking.

It broke just before 7 p.m. Wednesday at an apartment building at 624 Rancheria Drive.

The tenant Matt Vang, 21, told KRCR News Channel 7 he was heating oil in a frying pan in his kitchen, preparing to cook.

Vang said he turned away for just a minute, and when he looked back the entire kitchen was engulfed.

"It's just unreal," said Vang.  It doesn't feel real at all."

Firefighters said the flames spread through the vent above the stove, into the attic.  A combination of fire, smoke or water damaged all four units in the building, displacing eight people.

The Red Cross is assisting the residents.