Redding
57° F
Overcast
Overcast
Red Bluff
59° F
Light Rain
Light Rain
Chico
61° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

After Redding house fire, firefighters warn against improper use of electrical equipment

By Stephanie Montano, smontano@krcrtv.com
Published On: Sep 24 2013 07:15:00 PM CDT
Updated On: Sep 24 2013 08:16:42 PM CDT
REDDING, Calif. -

The structure fire that happened off of Branstetter Lane early on Monday was due to misuse of electrical equipment. Now, Redding firefighters are reminding people of the importance of using electrical equipment properly.

Firefighters said the home was without utility service and a generator and battery were being used as the primary resources of energy.

No one was home at the time of the fire, but Redding firefighters said the fire still could have been prevented. The fire was started by a malfunctioning inverter that served several items and was being powered by a car battery, something firefighters say should never be done.

"Running jumper cables to a battery within the home and then powering appliances from that is not an approved use," said Michael Bachmeyer, Division Chief of Fire Prevention. "That's the big thing with these electrical devices -- could be kitchen appliances, television set, it could be a multi-plug adapter, which is an approved type of use as long as it is what is called a power strip."

Firefighters also to never overload individual outlet also say to always have functioning smoke detectors.