Apartment Fire Sparked By Child Igniting Toy
Updated On: May 10 2013 01:26:42 PM CDT
Fire investigators in Redding say a fire that damaged an apartment building Wednesday afternoon was caused by a 10-year-old child.
The fire broke out Wednesday at 5:46 p.m. at Westside Apartments at 4660 Westside Road.
The fire damaged the laundry room and the exterior of the building.
Investigators determined the fire originated on a couch in a porch area near the laundry room.
The cause was a 10-year-old child playing with fire. After experimenting with different things to burn, the juvenile ignited a toy with a lighter, placed the burning toy on top of the couch and left.
Fire from the burning couch spread to a mattress and box springs, which then ignited the framing of the building and burned into the attic.
The child will be cited and referred to Shasta County Juvenile Probation for disposition.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
Copyright 2013 by KRCRTV.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.