Redding
68° F
Clear
Clear
Red Bluff
72° F
Clear
Clear
Chico
68° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Bargain Bin fire caused by a candle

By Stephanie Montano, smontano@krcrtv.com
Published On: Jan 23 2014 09:46:43 PM CST
REDDING, Calif. -

The Redding Fire Department said the fire that destroyed The Bargain Bin Surplus was caused by candles. Investigators said  the owner of the building had been letting a man stay there.

There were no utilities hooked up to the building, so the man was using candles for light. Those candles lit some bedding on fire, the man tried to put it out but it quickly spread through the bedding,  to some paint and other combustibles that were in the building and the fire blew up from there.

Douglas Smedley, the man leasing the building said he knew a man would stop by to check the place, but didn’t know he was living there.

Smedley said he spent about $100,000 renovating the building which was going to be a meat market.

The fire was contained at about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night. Crews were on scene till about midnight mopping up the fire.

Smedley said he does have insurance but he isn’t sure if he will be able to recoup his entire investment.