A Chico State group is offering free tax preparation services inside bell memorial union.
Beta alpha psi, an organization for financial information students and professionals, has teamed up with the community action agency of butte county to help people out this year.
Nearly 30 student volunteers and Chico State staff members are spending time every Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. through February. They'll also be there the first two Saturdays and the final Saturday in March.
The program gives accounting and finance students crucial training and tax season experience for future careers in accounting.
The free tax preparation service is aimed at those in the community who need it most, but all are welcome and the help has been appreciated.
"Overall it's been great. Everyone I've talked to has enjoyed being able to come here and have their taxes filed," says Gabriel Penfield, a student volunteer. "You know, working with students who've taken tax classes and also just had some general experience with it, it's nice to be able to come here and talk to us."
Those who want to take advantage of the program need to bring:
- A copy of their 2013 tax return
- Social Security and/or ITIN cards for the entire family
- Photo identification
- Wages and earnings statements (W-2, 1099, 1098)
- Documentation for deductions and credits
- Documentation with child care provider identification number and amount paid
- A voided check for direct deposit of refund