Redding
67° F
Overcast
Overcast
Red Bluff
68° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Chico
64° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

Updated: Fire damages home, 93 year-old man escapes

By Shay Arthur
Published On: Jul 07 2013 09:59:31 PM CDT
Updated On: Jul 08 2013 02:11:17 AM CDT

A 93 year-old man's house caught on fire after fell asleep with a pan on the stove. The man and two dogs were able to get out of the home safely.

REDDING, Calif. -

Firefighters were called to a house fire Sunday night that damaged a home on Redding’s southeast side.

The fire was reported around 7 p.m. in the 3000 block of Western Oak Drive in Redding.

Witnesses reported black smoke coming from the attached garage of the home. 

Numerous fire engines lined the neighborhood's streets, along with many spectators watching the firefight.

Alex Borris, 93, was asleep in the home when the blaze broke out.

His daughter, Debbie Hanley, said he was awoken by the smoke alarm.

Earlier in the evening Borris had been cooking chicken in his garage and forgot he left a pan with oil in it on the stove.

Borris, along with two dogs, were able to safely make it out of the burning home.

Hanley said Borris has lived in the home for about 11 years.

She said Borris kept sentimental tools in the garage, which on Sunday evening was fully engulfed in smoke and flames.

Redding Fire Inspector Craig Wittner, noted the significant damage to the house  but said it appeared fire crews were able to keep the majority of the blaze out of the home's bedrooms.

Wittner also said the fire made it's way into part of the home's attic, but believes firefighters were able to salvage some of Borris' personal items.

He said he saw firefighters carrying pictures and other important belongings out of the home.

The monetary amount of damage done to the home is unknown at this time.

At last check a cat was still missing.