Students were forced to evacuate Sycamore Middle School classrooms in Gridley on Tuesday just before noon, when a fire broke out inside the building.
The students moved into the cafeteria as several fire trucks responded to the fire at 1125 Sycamore St. Firefighters said the fire was contained to a bathroom.
It appeared that a paper towel dispenser had caught on fire.
Firefighters had to cut through the roof of the building to vent the smoke.
The flames destroyed a bathroom stall and toilet. Firefighters were questioning some 7th grade students about who or what started it.
Stay with KRCR News Channel 7 for a full report starting at 5.