A Butte Valley family is cleaning up after a fire started by welding sparks burned their home Saturday.
The fire started around 3 p.m. on the property on Lake Hills Drive off Durham-Pentz Road.
Carl Robinson says he was working on a welding project when a small fire broke out.
He tried to use a garden hose and fire extinguishers to put it out but quickly realized it was spreading uphill toward his home so he called out for his son to phone the fire department.
The fire ran up a butte behind the home and sparks ignited the roof, causing serious damage to the home.
It was a close call, but Carl, his wife and two sons were able to get to safety.
A family dog was trapped inside but also escaped.
The Robinson family is thankful for firefighters and neighbors who did their best to get pets, family heirlooms and other personal items out of the home.
They say they still lost a lot of personal items but are lucky to have family photos that are irreplaceable.