Redding
52° F
Overcast
Overcast
Red Bluff
53° F
Overcast
Overcast
Chico
54° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

House fire caused by overheated extension cord

Published On: Jan 07 2014 10:47:25 PM CST
Updated On: Jan 07 2014 10:56:49 PM CST
REDDING, Calif. -

Redding firefighters have released the cause of a structure fire that broke out Tuesday night.

Flames were reported around 6:15 p.m. in the 2100 block of Osprey Lane.

A Redding Fire Investigator told KRCR News Channel 7 that the home was unoccupied and without power and the homeowner was using an extension cord from a neighbors home to keep lights on to deter squatters and burglars.

The extension cord apparently overheated, sparking a fire on the carpet which then spread into the home's walls. It took fire crews minutes to knock out the flames.

The home suffered some interior damage. The estimate is around $10,000.

Fire officials said this is a good reminder for folks that extension cords should only be used temporarily and folks should always keep an eye on their cords.

Watch Fox 20 at 10:00 p.m. and KRCR News Channel 7 at 11:00 p.m. to hear from the homeowner.