Kennel full of puppies ignites, flames gut garage
Nine puppies and an adult Labrador dog were killed in a garage fire that erupted late Friday morning.
The husband, wife and their small child were inside the house they rent, on Cirrus Street, when the flames first broke out. They were all able to make it out safely.
The family said that they had a heating lamp on inside the garage, to keep the puppies warm.
The husband said they heard the animals whimpering for help inside the garage. Then, they saw smoke.
He said he then rushed to try and save the puppies, suffering second-degree burns on his arm. His attempts were unsuccessful.
Redding fire investigators said it is possible one of the dogs may have inadvertently knocked over the heating lamp, igniting the cardboard in the puppy kennel.
Redding fire fighters were able to save one dog, named Bella, who wasn’t in the garage at the time of the fire.
The family said that the smoke alarms inside their rental home never went off, and it was the puppies cries for help that saved their owners lives.
Tara Alleson lives down the street from the home that caught on fire. She said she heard and felt the impact of those flames.
“I just felt like two big booms, like explosions and couldn't figure out what it was and ran outside and saw a huge plume of black smoke so I called 911. [Flames] shooting out the garage, looked like it might have been shooting out of the side of the garage as well," described Alleson.
Fire investigators have estimated the damage from the fire at more than $150,000.
Copyright 2014 by KRCRTV.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.