Oroville fire sends one to UC Davis with second-degree burns
A fire exploded at a home in Oroville Saturday night sending one woman to UC Davis with second-degree burns.
The fire began at 7:30 p.m. at a home on Crest Drive in West Oroville, starting in a shed next to the house the family used for cooking.
A neighbor says within minutes propane tanks inside the shed exploded, spreading and fully engulfing the house.
He says he's lucky his home was saved.
A young woman inside was shocked to learn that her father-in-law, who's handicapped, was left inside as people rushed from the home and attempted to put out the flames.
She quickly lifted him into his wheelchair before others came and helped them to safety.
"'I can't believe they left dad here,'" Mai Yer Thao remembers saying. "I was freaking out. And I just had to help him so I was like, 'Who cares if we both die together.' I was just there and I helped him and then we got out."
In all, the American Red Cross gave assistance to twelve residents.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.
Copyright 2013 by KRCRTV.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.