Redding
97° F
Clear
Clear
Red Bluff
97° F
Clear
Clear
Chico
97° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Restaurant owner Reverge Anselmo fights to keep his wall on county land

By Mike Mangas
Published On: Jun 07 2013 07:44:03 PM CDT
Updated On: Jun 07 2013 08:10:58 PM CDT
SHINGLETOWN, Calif. -

Shasta County has demanded that land and restaurant owner Reverge Anselmo tear down a $65,000 wall and guard shack on Inwood Road in front of a chapel on his property.

Although Anselmo said it is just another case of the county selectively enforcing laws against him, the county says the wall removal is a matter of public safety because its placement is a traffic hazard.

Anselmo built the wall where a barbed wire fence had been, but Shasta County Public Works Director Pat Minturn argues that a barbed wire fence and a solid wall are two different things.

According to the county, Anselmo put the driveway to the chapel, which he built without a permit, too close to a curve on a road where the unposted speed limit is 55 miles per hour.

Everyone agrees that the wall encroaches on county land, however, how far the wall encroaches is up for debate.

Minturn said it is not so much that all or part of the wall was built on county land – it is that it is a safety issue.

Anselmo said the survey of the land was done under false pretenses when he spoke with Minturn to widen a bridge elsewhere on his property.

Minturn told us that it was Anselmo's own representative who told the county about the wall's encroachment last month, leading them to investigate the safety problem.

Anselmo has until June 15 to remove the wall or appeal.

County Counsel Rubin Cruse said if the wall is not taken down, the county could knock down the wall and bill Anselmo for it or get a court order forcing him to do it.

Anselmo said that if the wall is torn down, he plans on building an even bigger wall to replace it.