Redding
67° F
Overcast
Overcast
Red Bluff
70° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Chico
68° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Incognito continues Twitter rant against Martin

By By The Sports Xchange
Published On: Feb 12 2014 03:48:38 PM CST
Updated On: Feb 12 2014 04:16:05 PM CST
Richie Incognito

From Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito went on another Twitter rant Wednesday directed at teammate Jonathan Martin regarding their high-profile bullying scandal.

Even as he waits for NFL investigator Ted Wells to release his final report, Incognito blasted the man who accused him of being a bully.

Incognito said in one tweet that Martin, who left the Dolphins mid-season, threatened to kill himself in 2013.

"FACT: Jonathan Martin told me he thought about taking his own life in MAY 2013 b/c he wasn't playing well," Incognito tweeted. "Told me he felt worthless."

After his Wednesday afternoon Twitter tirade, Incognito stopped, saying, "I have no further comment at this time. Please contact my attorney Mark Schamel."

Incognito then provided Schamel's phone number.

Incognito also wrote that Martin's account would ultimately be proven wrong:

"Dear Jon Martin..... The truth is going to bury you and your entire 'camp.' You could have told the truth the entire time."

Incognito did make one apology: "I apologize to all of the women out there that I offended with my text messages to my close personal friend."

According to ESPN.com, Wednesday's tirade is in stark contrast to Incognito's thoughts on Martin from just eight days ago when he tweeted that he supported Martin "100% in his return to football in 2014."

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross recently said neither player is expected to return to Miami. Incognito will become an unrestricted free agent in March. Martin, a 2012 second-round pick, still has two years left on his rookie contract but is expected to be traded or released.

Wells was hired by the NFL on Nov. 6 to conduct an independent probe within the Dolphins' organization. He met with Martin twice, the final time on Dec. 5, and spoke with Incognito and team officials in November.

Last week, Incognito showed his frustration about the delay.

"Paul, Weiss, Rifkind -- Really taking your time on this one," Incognito tweeted, in reference to the firm for which Wells works. "Not like my career and life have been in the balance for 3 months."

Martin, an offensive tackle, left the team on Oct. 28 to pursue treatment for undisclosed mental health issues and later accused Incognito of abuse.

Incognito was subsequently suspended from the team for the remainder of the 2013 season. Incognito's suspension was lifted by the Dolphins on Feb. 4.

More than 1,000 text messages between Martin and Incognito were published last week by USA Today Sports that shed more insight into the teammates' relationship.