The flu is not something to take lightly. It’s been hitting many across the county and some have even died from it.
Shasta County Public Health confirmed today that a Shasta County man is among those who have died from the illness.
Shasta County Public Health along with Mercy Medical Center said there are a few things you can do to prevent catching the flu:
- Keep your hands clean, wash them at all times.
- Don't touch your face, avoid the eyes and mouth area where viruses can spread quickly.
- If someone is sick stay away from them -- keep the three foot zone.
- If you’re the one with the flu stay home! Rest is crucial.
- And most importantly, get the flu shot.
"It’s an inactivated part of the virus and you have the injection and it just alerts your body to recognize the virus and to build some immunity so that when you are exposed, it can jump on it and take care of it before you actually get the full disease,” said Darlynn Dodd, Infection Prevention Registered Nurse at Mercy Medical Center.
Mercy Medical Center said it’s also important to disinfect different areas whether at home or work.