Tips for cancer survivors to keep cool in summer heat
As the temperature rises it's good to keep a few things in mind in order to stay safe and healthy in the summer sun and heat.
Here are a few thoughts to keep in mind as you enjoy the summer:
- Protect your skin from sun exposure by wearing protective clothing and hats.
- Use sunscreen with SPF of 30 or more if you must be exposed to direct sunlight.
- Don't forget your sunglasses — important for your eye health.
- Choose early morning and evening hours to walk or exercise.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Wear loose fitting, cotton-based clothing.
- When enjoying time outside, choose a shady spot such as a screen porch or under an umbrella.
- Use a light moisturizer to keep skin hydrated and protected.
As a cancer survivor, keep in mind you may be at an increased risk for dehydration and sunburn as a result of treatment or medication side effects. Cool down with tepid showers and frequent breaks for water if you are out gardening or exercising.
Keep your meals fresh and light. Choose summer fruits and vegetables such as melons, peaches, pears, cucumbers and tomatoes. Enjoy fruit sorbet or smoothies for extra cool treats.