UPDATE: Mistrial has been declared in Mark Duenas murder trial
Updated On: Aug 07 2013 01:33:02 AM CDT
A mistrial has been declared in the Mark Duenas murder trial and a retrial is set to begin on October 1.
Duenas is accused of murdering his wife of 33 years, Karen Duenas, in their Cottonwood home back in May 2012.
According to Dr. Susan Comfort, who conducted Karen's autopsy, Karen had been stabbed three times -- twice in the back and once in the chest -- and she had several cuts on her hands.
Comfort said the weapon appeared to be a knife and it could have been a kitchen knife, but it was difficult to tell whether or not it was serrated.
Mark Duenas called 911 after allegedly finding his wife bloody.
The controversial 911 tape served as a key piece of evidence in the case. In it, Duenas either admits to killing Karen or says that he found his wife "sick".
Two weeks after the murder, the Shasta County Sheriff's Department named the Shasta College instructor's husband of 33 years, Mark, as a person of interest.
Throughout the trial, Duenas' family has supported his innocence.
On Tuesday the Duenas and Tenney (Karen's maiden name) families expressed their frustration over the trial.
Joe Tenney, Karen's brother, said both sides of the family are close and always have been. Tenney said the two families will continue to stick together and support Mark.
Ron Powell, Mark's attorney, said he was "disappointed" and was surprised by the quick decision to have a retrial.
The District Attorney's Office said the case was still open and declined to discuss the details surrounding the retrial.
Copyright 2013 by KRCRTV.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.